November 24, 2007

The 66th....er....65th Anniversary book.

You guys remember that 65th anniversary book that was offered 2 years ago? How many of you actually bought one? I'll raise my hand for that one. Well, after 2 years of waiting for the 65th Anniversary book to come out, I finally got my copy. It came in the mail a couple days ago; and I've been reading it, re-reading it and picking it apart since then.

Firstly, this was a great attempt; and the results are nothing to dismiss either. It has a general history of the CAP, plus photos and information on all of CAP's doings from 1941 to time of publication. I especially liked the back where it had images of all the aircraft that we have used, the uniforms we have worn (although I thought that section would be much longer) and a brief overview of how the organization works. It's an excellent "layman's guide to the Civil Air Patrol" if there ever was one.

But it does seem a bit too short. One would think that within 65 years of service there would be a lot more information and antic dotes. The Coastal Patrol section is nearly 1/2 the book. Don't get me wrong, it's important, but it's been covered so much that I want more about the post-war period.

All in all, I would say that it is an excellent addition to a squadron library; and also for those obsessed with CAP (such as myself). It could easily be put out on tables at recruiting events. Having people flip through it to see the grand history of CAP and some great images from it too would be immensely helpful. If you have the money, I say buy it!

One other thing...Turn to pg 78, look down at the bottom picture and tell me you're not jealous.
(I'll scan and post as soon as I can.)

5 comments:

Capt Rivera said...

You should post the image & caption... Don't have a book and unless someone wants to buy it for me... I probably wont ever have it...

Primary Author: KidMystic said...

Scan and post the page, pretty please!

What's a Flight Officer? said...

I will as soon as I can get my scanner working....

Stay Tuned!

Nice said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nice said...

Great Information about Hybrid Air Vehicles here is the article http://premierjettraining.com/cessna-flight-pilot-training it helps your blog readers to know where to get Cessna flight pilot training.